Here are my suggestions.
1. Respect your employer, regardless it's dhoti.
2. I was in the same boat in December 2008 ( remember the great American recession). I did approach few consultancy. All of them asked fee from me for a training. May be I approached the wrong employer. Your case is far better than mine.
3. Remember if you don't find job after a training, then there is some problem within you. Don't blame your consultancy. If A,B,C,D can find a job after some training then why not you.
4. Mean time you keep on looking for a job, even on craigslist.
5. Open an LinkedIn account and try to create professional network. Don't ask me how? And also remember this is not a facebook.
6. Read this book "What color is your parachute?"
7. Try to contact your friends with similar background and check whether their employer is hiring.